Marketing, specifically the best SEO marketing for google can be a complicated field to understand, often riddled with jargon and confusing technical terms. Search Engine Optimisation, a subdivision of digital marketing, known more commonly as SEO is no different. SEO is essentially the practice of altering a company or websites positon on a search engines results page. However, the factors that affect this process are often confusing and complicated. With this in mind, let’s have a look at the four major elements of SEO that you need to be aware of for you and your business.
Technical SEO is the first major element of search engine optimization. Technical SEO is essentially the ease in which a search engine can analyse, read and index your content. This sounds very complicated, however a lot of it is often done by the content management system your website or business uses. The crucial areas of technical SEO that need to be looked at are the following:
- Crawl: can a search engine analyse and asses your site?
- Index: what pages or parts of your site should the search engine keep?
- Is it mobile friendly?
- Speed of page loading
It is important to note that the more complicated your website becomes, the more important technical SEO becomes. This is because a website with hundreds of pages and infinite content will require far more crawling and indexing.
On site SEO
On site SEO refers to the optimisation of your websites content and HTML. This is similar to technical SEO, and indeed does involve a certain level of cross over. The most important part of on-site SEO is the hierarchy and structure of a website or pages’ content.
The most important factors to be considered with onsite SEO are:
- Keywords – ensure you are using language that is used by customers, this will ensure optimal results and communication. It is also important to use these keywords organically throughout the page.
- How concise and descriptive is the sites URL?
- Utilise meta descriptions to entice consumers to engage with your page
- Calls to action are also important, they make it easy for users to know what to do next
Content is arguably the most important and crucial part of your businesses website or page. The reality is that website is the vehicle for your content. It is in the content of your site that you show customers the value you can offer them, highlighting what it is you do and how you do it.
There are three different variations of website content that exist:
- Service content; where and what you do?
- Credibility content: why a customer should engage with your business
- Marketing content: information that positions you and your business as experts/professionals
SEO is important and can be applied to all of these types of content. However, it is often overlooked when it comes to credibility and marketing content. By including extra information such as case studies and testimonials instead of just simple service pages, you can greatly improve your credibility and marketing content.
Offsite SEO is where a websites authority, in the eyes of Google or any other search engine is optimised. Building up the authority of a website is a crucial component in growing a sites search ranking. This authority building is often done via links, in order to connect your site to other authoritative pages and legitimate information.
It is easy to fall into the trap of thinking more is best and subsequently filling your website pages with various links, however this can be counterproductive. It is important that the links are relevant to the customer and the content. If the search engine perceives them to be irrelevant it will degrade the legitimacy of your site.